Monday, March 12, 2012

HOW LATE IN THE FALL CAN I SEED?

Nick Christians
March 12, 2012

Every fall, I get questions in October about how late is too late to seed. The answer to that varies with location, species, and weather of course, but here is a post from my son Tim in the North end of Chicago that may help answer that question.

He finished a tee construction project late and took a chance on seeding the new tees with bentgrass on Oct. 25. The tee pictured below on March 12 was covered, but he also had tees that were not covered on which he has 40 to 60% cover. It was clearly worth it to seed even though it was late.

If anyone else has some pictures of late seeding, send them to me and I'll get them up on the blog. We can use this information next fall when people are asking about seeding.








No comments: