Thursday, May 2, 2013

CRABGRASS GERMINATION?

Nick Christians
May 2, 2013


 It is May 2 and we have a snow storm going on in Ames.  Normally, when people ask me for a date by which they should have their preemergence herbicide applied for crabgrass control, my standard answer is to have it down by May 1.  The question that I have received most often in the last two days, is whether this cold weather will delay germination. 

The expected answer would be that the cold weather will delay germination,  however, I have been watching crabgrass germination dates for 34 years here in central Iowa.  What I have observed is that the germination date does not vary much from year to year.  When we have a warm spring and you would expect early germination, the crabgrass still germinates about the same time (around May 1).  When we have a cold spring, like this one, the crabgrass still seems to germinate about the same time.  It may be a few days early or late, but not a few weeks.

I am still expecting crabgrass to germinate soon.  If you do not have your preemerge down, I would recommend applying it as soon after the snow melts as possible.  I put mine on last week.












No comments: