Friday, September 17, 2010

Iowa Based Internships

Thinking back to when I was an undergraduate, I remember what a great learning experience my internships were.  I could finally start to apply some of the information I had learned in the classroom and I was able to communicate and interact with field experts on a daily basis.  Similarly, from my time spent in industry, I understand how staffing reliable, enthusiastic workers can benefit the day to day operations of any facility.  The bottom line is that internships can be beneficial to both the student and the facility alike.

Some of you may have had an intern from ISU at your facility in the past and others may be curious about employing an intern in the future.  Our department has approximately 50 turfgrass students who will be looking for internship opportunities this coming summer in golf, sports, and lawn and landscape settings. 

These potential interns (along with their resumes) will be available for an informal meet and greet at our upcoming Horticulture Career Night.  The event will be held on Monday, October 18 at Reiman Garden’s just south of the ISU campus.  The event will begin at 5:30 pm and food and beverages will be provided at no charge.  Consider coming to this event to recruit potential interns.  Those planning on attending need to RSVP to Marcus Jones at mjones99@iastate.edu.  

Marcus Jones
Graduate Research Assistant

No comments: